Putting Safety First
After carefully considering the latest public health guidance, the Virginia Lottery has extended the closure of its Customer Service Centers through the end of April.
All drawings will continue to take place. Players can mail-in winning tickets for prize payment. More information here.
Last updated: 4/1/20
Virginia Lottery Customer Service Centers to remain closed through April 30 -- Lottery drawings will continue.
After carefully considering the latest public health guidance, the Virginia Lottery has made the decision to extend the closures of its Customer Service Centers through April 30.
At that time, the Lottery will reassess the situation and continue to follow the latest recommendations from health experts with regard to what is best for our customers, retailers and the public.
Play It Safe
The Lottery will continue to sell Lottery games however, social distancing is essential to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Please do not jeopardize your health.
Here are the ways you can play Lottery games safely while enacting social distancing.
- Access Online Play – Online Play offers players subscriptions to Mega Millions, Powerball and Cash4Life®. Players can purchase tickets via subscription on the Virginia Lottery website without ever leaving the house. The Lottery also offers Auto-Renewal to make not missing a drawing easier.
- Fill out a Digital Playslip – The Lottery offers digital playslips within the Lottery app for these games: Pick 3, Pick 4, Cash 5, Mega Millions, Powerball, Cash4Life® and Bank a Million. Just create your play in the app, then tap the Playslip icon instead of Buy Now. These playslips can then be scanned by a retailer or Lottery Vending Machine to produce a game ticket.
- Use the Ticket Checkers – The Lottery offers both a physical and digital ticket checker. You can scan your ticket at the physical Ticket Checkers located at many Lottery retailers. In the Lottery app, there is a digital ticket checker. Scan your ticket, and find out if you’re a winner that way.
- Check Winning Numbers at Home: The Lottery website and Virginia Lottery app both recap winning numbers, and both are great ways to see past winning numbers.
- Take advantage of multi-draw options: All Virginia Lottery draw games offer a multi-draw option. The multi-draw option allows you to play your numbers for multiple consecutive drawings. The number of draws varies per game. Some offer up 26 multi-draws (Cash4Life®, Bank a Million, Mega Millions, Powerball); others offer up to 91 (Pick 3, Pick 4, Cash 5).
- Play via MobilePlay – Players can play draw games and e-games on their phones via the Lottery app. To do so, a player must be within Bluetooth® range of a Lottery retailer. Fortunately, players can park in the retailer’s lot or stand outside its doors; it’s likely a player can access the Bluetooth® signal from either of those locations.
If you have a winning ticket, congratulations. The Lottery offers players several options to claim winning tickets, but, given the COVID-19 situation, claiming by mail is your safest option.
Claiming winning tickets by mail
If you have a winning ticket, congratulations. The Lottery normally offers players several options to claim winning tickets, but, given the COVID-19 situation, claiming by mail is your safest option (and your only option for prizes over $600).
Please note that the processing time may be longer than usual. For the safety of our employees and with the latest recommendations from health experts in mind, Lottery staff is working remotely, though we are still processing winning ticket payments as quickly as possible.
If you have a winning ticket for which the prize-redemption period expires during the Governor's declared state of emergency, the Lottery will validate and pay the prize as long as you file your claim by mail or in person at a Customer Service Center no later than 30 days after Virginia's state of emergency order has been lifted.
Here are the steps to redeem a winning ticket by mail:
- Sign your ticket, and mail it to Virginia Lottery Claims, P. O. Box 1254, Richmond, VA 23218-1254. Be sure to complete the requested information on the back of the ticket, so the Lottery knows where to send the check. Keep a clear copy of both the front and back of your winning ticket and note the date you mailed it. You may also consider using registered mail to make sure your ticket arrives safely.
- Be sure to include your contact information so that the Lottery can reach you (daytime telephone and email contact, in addition to your full mailing address).
- If the prize is more than $600, you'll need to supply copies of both your government-issued photo ID and your Proof of Resident Social Security/Tax Identification card.If the prize amount is more than $100 up to and including $600, you only need to include your Proof of Resident Social Security/Tax identification number.
- If you have any questions about this, or do not have a Tax ID number, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To everyone, please stay healthy and safe.